Office: (858) 453-9600
Mobile: (858) 717-1000
Facts and Figures about Child Abuse and Foster Care
- Child Abuse is the 3rd cause of death of American children under the age of 4.
- 79% of the children killed as a result of abuse are younger than 4 years old.
- On average, 5 children die each day as a result of child abuse
- Every 10 seconds a child abuse report is placed.
- About 70,000 calls of suspected abuse come into San Diego’s Child Abuse Hotline each year.
- Children ages 0-3 are the most likely to experience abuse.
- 7% of all children entering the foster cares system are infants
- San Diego County has a child abuse rate of 12.8 per 1,000, higher than state averages.
- State funding only partially covers the costs of basic care for foster kids.
To learn more visit the Facts & Figures page of this website.