Promises2Kids annually provides over 3,300 current and former foster youth in San Diego County with the tools, opportunities and guidance they need to address the circumstances that brought them into foster care, overcome the difficulties of their past, and grow into healthy and successful adults.
- Developmental Screening and Enhancement Program (DSEP), which detects developmental delays in foster children ages birth to five
- Pet Encounter Therapy which brings the tactile and healing benefits of animals to abused children
- Youth2Youth, a powerful and peer-driven mentoring program that matches successful former foster youth with youth in the foster care system
- On-site Developmental Preschool to provide children with a supportive teacher who implements lessons and activities that are instrumental to their development
- Recreation and Life Skills, which includes structured activities such as dance and art classes, cooking classes, and organized sports games
Promises2Kids provides siblings in foster care, who are placed in separate homes, the opportunity to reconnect through a four-day summer camp, as well as recreational and educational day camp activities throughout the year. Camp Connect allows brothers and sisters to maintain critical relationships and gain support from each other during this difficult time. This program is a partnership with Health & Human Services Agency of San Diego County.
Education opens the door to new possibilities for youth. Promises2Kids Guardian Scholars specifically engages foster youth in preparing for and enrolling in higher education.By giving college preparatory support, academic scholarships, mentoring, and individual support, foster youth gain the necessary tools to support themselves and become self-sufficient adults.
Promises2Kids understands that foster children often feel alone and isolated. They may go without simple pleasures of childhood such as birthday gifts, cap and gown for graduation, a sports uniform or a musical instrument. We ensure foster children know that they too are heard, special and deserving. Promises2Kids has special funds set up to support these needs not met through typical funding.